Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Secondhand Bookshop Acquisitions



Today I ventured into a local secondhand bookshop, dangerous territory for me. I have little willpower to resist beautiful or interesting books. I found three treasures today:
  • a Latin dictionary. A Latin dictionary has been on my To Buy list for ages. This little dictionary cost just 69p. It is an old edition-but I doubt that Latin has changed that much in the last few years :D
  • a Swedish grammar (99p). Old fashioned and solid. It contains lists of verb conjugations, endless pages of sentences and linguistics terminology. I like my grammar hardcore. I have little patience for the new 'soft' way of teaching grammar-I do not think it is particularly effective. Grammar can be hard and monotonous (as well as rewarding). Deal with it! I know a small handful of people who have this as their native language hence the reason for choosing this minority language over the other 20 there were on the shelf. If I'm feeling inspired, this will aid me in constructing a few clumsy sentences to litter my Swedish friends' Facebook walls.
  • 501 German verbs (99p). German can be a real fiend and I will pass a few pleasant hours perusing this.
I have never understood how people can be emotionally detached enough from their books to be able to dump them at a charity shop. Still, I suppose their loss is my gain. I now have roughly a shelf of dictionaries and grammars. Joy! I won't insult geeks by accusing myself of being a geek. I'm just a complete and utter loser with an expanding dictionary collection.

2 comments:

  1. I have a hard time trying to leave books that I don't even like... My mother cleaned out her bookcase a couple of years ago and welcomed me to loot it if I wanted. The stack of books that I left behind were smaller than the one I took with me.. (It was from that haul that I got Stieg Larssons books by the way.)

    I took almost all of my books with me to my boyfriend's apartment a month or so ago and then I realized that I haven't lived with this small amount of books in a long, long, looooong time... *looks around and counts to four books and get a feeling of loneliness*

    Looking forward to your Swedish sentences then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just finishing Graham Greene's The Quiet American (I want to watch the film) before starting the Stiegs.

    Only 4 books?! But...a dictionary, thesaurus, at least 2 books to read,an encyclopedia...these are Must Haves at all times and they are 5 books!

    Looking forward to my Swedish? I feel the first pangs of stage fright :/

    ReplyDelete